MoveOn Volunteer Legal Agreement
Thank you for your interest in joining the MoveOn Text Team. As a member, you will be trusted with internal MoveOn information. It is of utmost importance that you keep this material confidential and do not share it with other individuals or organizations. Please carefully read and sign the following volunteer agreement.
This will confirm that I have agreed to volunteer for MoveOn.org Civic Action (“MOCA”) and/or MoveOn.org Political Action (“MOPA”) (jointly and severally, “MoveOn”), as a member of its Support Corps group. I understand that, in consideration of my being accepted to participate in the Support Corps, I will be agreeing to all of the following terms and conditions, and I am stating certain facts about myself, as set forth below, on which MoveOn will rely in accepting me as a volunteer for Support Corps:
- I am at least 16 years of age and legally competent to understand and enter into this agreement.
- I understand that I am a volunteer, not an employee of MoveOn and that I am not entitled to look to MoveOn for any compensation or benefits, and that I will not be covered under any policy of workers’ compensation, and will not be covered by unemployment insurance.
- I understand there may be risks involved in participating in the Program. I agree that neither MoveOn.org Civic Action nor MoveOn.org Political Action nor any of the respective officers, directors, employees, agents and consultants of MOCA or MOPA (the “MoveOn Releasees”) shall be responsible for any injury to my person or property occurring during or in connection with my participation in Support Corps, or other volunteer work for MoveOn, during my travel to or from any location at which I am asked to perform volunteer services for MoveOn or by reason of or related to such services. I hereby and forever release and discharge the MoveOn Releasees from and against any and all costs, damages and liability for death, injury to person, injury or damage to property or other damages, costs, losses or expenses of whatsoever nature, caused during or by reason of my participation in the Program, my provision of volunteer services to MoveOn.
- I further agree to indemnify and hold harmless the MoveOn Releasees from and against any and all losses, costs, damages or liability (including attorneys’ fees) arising from or related to any claim asserted by any third party for death, injury to person or damage to property, caused or alleged to have been caused by me in whole or in part, in the course of or related to my volunteer work for MoveOn.
- I understand and agree that I will have no authority to enter into any contract or purchase order on behalf of MoveOn, or to bind or incur any obligation or liability on behalf of MoveOn.
- “Confidential Information” shall be defined for the purpose of this Agreement as information (a) disclosed to me by MoveOn or other employees, consultants, officers or agents of MoveOn, or known or gathered by me as a consequence of or through or in the course of performing services for MoveOn and (b) not generally known to the public, about MoveOn’s activities, plans, strategies, budget, and operations, including but not limited to studies, reports, advertisements, samples, and programs, data, figures, projections, costs, methods of operation, identity of plans or administrative services, estimates, donor, supporter and allies lists, personnel history, financial statements, accounting procedures and communications, advocacy and organizing techniques, in whatsoever form, whether written, oral, electronic or otherwise, and in whatsoever media, whether in paper form, video or audio tape, disc or otherwise.
- I agree that I will not at any time, whether during the term of my participation as a volunteer for MoveOn or any time thereafter, directly or indirectly disclose any Confidential Information to any person, firm or corporation except for employees of and other volunteers for MoveOn with a need to know such Confidential Information.
- Any and all writings, materials, audiovisual works and other works, in any form whatsoever, whether written, electronic or otherwise, created or produced by me in the course of performance of services for MoveOn shall become and remain the exclusive property of MoveOn and shall be deemed works made for hire created for MoveOn for purposes of the Copyright Law of 1976; and all copyright and any other rights in and to such writings, materials and works shall belong to MoveOn. To the extent any such work does not constitute a work made for hire, I agree to execute and deliver any instrument of conveyance or any other instrument or document necessary to transfer all such rights to MoveOn.
- I agree that if I am participating in MoveOn’s texting program: I will not use the texting platform made available to me by MoveOn for any purpose whatsoever except to send texts with content authorized by MoveOn to the mobile telephone numbers provided to me by MoveOn. I agree and understand that if I do use the texting system for any unauthorized purpose, or to send messages to numbers other than those provided to me by MoveOn, MoveOn will have the right to deny me further access to the system immediately, and that I will be responsible to MoveOn for any damages resulting from my violation of this provision.
- I understand that this agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with California law and shall not be modified without the written consent of myself and MoveOn.